Some information about us, our church and our history
All Saints is a friendly, family focussed church with two services each Sunday (See “Our Services” for details).
All Saints is a warm and airy Norman church with heating. Toilet and kitchen facilities are available in the adjacent church hall. Situated atop Newchurch Shute with commanding views across the Arreton Valley, its distinctive white wooden tower and grey spire form a beacon visible from many parts of the centre of the Island.
We publish eleven editions a year of a magazine covering the parishes of Newchurch and Arreton that costs 50p per month collected or is available for £11 per year including postage to UK addresses.
All Saints is a busy and proactive church. Its fund raising events include Quiz nights accompanied by a meal, a Bingo with Fish & Chips night, the Flower Festival, screening of the Last Night of the Proms, lunches and suppers, concerts, a talent show, a fashion show. coffee mornings etc
Support to raffles is provided by many local and Island enterprises including: Amazon World, the Garlic Farm, Springbank Nurseries, Yates Brewery, the Pointer Inn, Ager Nurseries, Bartletts Garages, Wight Salads, the Parish Council, Groundsell, Newchurch Parish Sports and Community Association, Ryde Superbowl, Hovertravel, Raj Premier, Morrison’s, Waitrose and Wightlink.
FRIENDS OF ALL SAINTS
The Friends of All Saints raises money to support the maintenance of the fabric of the church and its hall.
Its fund raising events include a Winter Warmer at the Garlic Farm, a live broadcast in All Saints Church of the BBC’s Last Night at the Proms, Murder Mysteries at the Pointer Inn, an after hours “meet the animals” visit to Amazon World, afternoon teas, sponsored appeals for specific projects.
The Chair of the Friends is Colin Boswell, proprietor of the Garlic Farm
All Saints has a peal of six bells, the oldest of which was cast in 1589, just a year after the defeat of the Spanish Armada.
Anyone wishing to learn the fascinating hobby of campanology is welcome to join the team of ringers at their Thursday practise at the church from 19:30. Please contact our Tower Captain, Mrs Jill Taylor (01983)867449 if you are interested in joining the team.
A Rich Heritage
THE HISTORY OF THE CHURCH
The church celebrated its 900th anniversary in 1987 and is a fine example of a Norman Church with some remaining evidence of its pre-Norman origins.
It is one of only three English churches with an ancient sanctuary door still in place (Durham and Westminster are the other two). Over the South door there is the crest of William III (of Orange) dated 1700 with the face of the Lion Rampant being an image of King Willliam.
The Dillington Mortuary Chapel has a number tombs whose covering slabs have unusually well preserved and finely engraved crests and lettering
The following is extracted from the Quinquennial Report published in October 2011 by the Church Architect, Mr Ian G Smith.
Standing prominently at the north end of Newchurch village, All Saints Church is visible from many points in the central belt of the Island; being cruciform in plan, with a south porch and tower it dominates the Arreton Valley.
One of six Churches given by William FitzOsbern to Lyra Abbey in Normandy, it was given to the See of Bristol by Henry VIII; All Saints has throughout its life had many additions, in the 15th, 16th and 17th centuries; the Victorian restoration of 1883, by AR Barker, remodelled part of the interior.
The original Church is still quite easily identifiable in the Nave, North and South Aisles, the crossing and the north wall of the Chancel, with the later extensions of the South Transept and the Chancel evident in the treatment of the windows which are wider and of three light style.
Constructed of random stone under a steeply pitched and tiled roof, the modest exterior is off set by the surprisingly grand interior; with a soaring timber-clad Nave roof, and massive stone columns with octagonal piers; with double chamfered arches progressing to the crossing and the Chancel.
The square tower over the stone rendered South Porch, being of timber weather-boarding (around 1800) is unusual on the Island, housing the six bell peal, four of which were founded in 1810, the other two are of 16th and 17th century vintage.
Major benefactors of the Church were the Dillington family who have laid 8 vaults in the north transept and also in the south transept; and of historical interest within the Church are the oak pulpit of 1725, the oak door from the Porch, the Pelican Lectern (l7thC), the wall tablets, the stained glass east window by Kempe (1909), the Creed and Commandments boards in cusped Gothic frames on the west wall; and the panel over the south door with the royal arms of William III, and dated 1700.
Listing; Listed Grade I.
High Street (East Side) – Church of All Saints – Listed as Grade I
The listing in the Twenty Ninth List of Buildings of Special Architectural and Historic Interest, dated 14 February 1992, of the Isle of Wight, gives a particularly detailed description of the history of the Church, the windows, and the historic features, relying on much of the information contained in the Buildings of England, David W. Lloyd and Nikolaus Pevsner, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight this has been updated now having a separate volume on the Isle of Wight of 2006.
High Street (East side) -Dillington Sundial in All Saints Churchyard — listed Grade II
Sundial, 1678 by Robert Marks of London, Baluster shaped stone base to sundial, about 1.000mm in height on plinth of three square stone steps. The sundial is missing, the sundial originally stood on the bowling green at Knighton Gorges, but following the demolition of the great house, Squire Bisset gave it to the parish in 1826, when it was erected in the Churchyard, historical interest as one of the early relics of Knighton Gorges.
Regular groups and activities
Craft Club : Meets in the church hall between 10:30 – 12:30. All are welcome to join the group and enjoy coffee, company and a chat whilst producing items using a range of crafts.
City, Hampshire POX XXX